History

The textile manufacturer Baron Julius Leon of Wernburg bought the property in 1889. In the years 1896/1897 he built the magnificent neo-Renaissance style by the architect Franz Ritter von Neumann, the "Palais Wernburg". Architect von Neumann was a pupil of the architect of Siccardsburg and van der Null, who also built the Vienna Opera House among others. Architect von Neumann entertained before the First World War, the largest architectural firm in Vienna and employed more than 130 employees. The families of Wernburg and Leitenberger operated since 1797 in Wernstadt (Bohemia), the first in Central Europe equipped with English spinning machines for cotton spinning Kattunerzeugung (cotton fabric), which was coming very important in the 19th century. The building entrance to the Palais Wernburg - a dripple -front building on the Köstlergasse, Linke Wienzeile and Laimgrubengasse - showcases four magnificent atlases carry the overlying balcony of the Belle Etage. This Belle-Etage has as well as the ground floor a ceiling height of 6.50 m and is accessible via a separate house from other private staircase with a wide spiral marble staircase. From the courtyard of the house, reaching via a steep slope with wooden pavement of the surviving in the basement situated former horse stables. The house on the corner Köstlergasse / Wienzeile graced a large dome that was demolished under Nazi rule and since then no longer updated.

The original "Cafe Wienzeile" extended over the entire ground floor to the left of entrance along Köstlergasse and the Wienzeile. It was directed by the cafe dynasty Kuszak which operated coffee houses in Prague and Budapest. In the interwar period, a part of the original inventory area was abandoned and eventually renamed the "Cafe Wienzeile" 1983 in the now "Cafe Savoy".

Among the many works of art, the two major mirrors manufactured in Belgium in the 19th century are particularly striking; they are the largest mirror of Europe. Another outstanding feature is the in the center of the room located Theophil Hansen chandelier, originally operating with gas lights and intervening emergency candles until finally the gas lights were replaced by electric light bulbs. Striking are also the six wall lights in the Rococo style, furthermore, the two Egyptian figures on the bar, which highlighted once in the bedroom of the dancer Rudolf Nureyev, the two ends of the bed.

During the many years of its existence, countless guests visited this cafe from around the world, which served as the setting for countless episodes and often as a photo and movie set. We are very pleased to welcome you as our guest. Honor us again soon and take the memory of this very special place with in your heart.